When you're in the mood for a fun and easy dinner idea that will impress even the pickiest of guests, smashed potatoes are always a delicious choice. They make a great alternative to traditional mashed potatoes, as they offer a more interesting texture and presentation.
Whether you're serving them as an appetizer or a side dish, they are a satisfying and affordable addition to any meal.
These versatile little bites can be topped with just about anything; from bacon and cheese to chives and sour cream. The best part? They're incredibly simple to make!
Just boil some baby potatoes until they're tender, smash them with a fork or potato masher, brush with seasoning mixture, and bake until crispy. Serve them with a side of sour cream dip for an irresistible combination of flavors and textures.
- 450g mini potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt, or as needed.
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
For Boiling Potatoes:
- 1.5 litres water
- 1/2 tsp salt
For Sour Cream Dip:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped.
- Boil the potatoes: Add the mini potatoes to a saucepan or large pot. Cover with water, season with salt, and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain carefully and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Season the potatoes: In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to make a seasoning mix. Toss the potatoes in the seasoning mix and transfer them to a baking sheet. Gently crush the potatoes with a fork or potato masher so they remain in one piece.
- Bake the potatoes: Brush the potatoes with the remaining seasoning mix, making sure it gets into the crevices. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan) or 425°F. Bake the potatoes for 25-35 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Make the sour cream dip: In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and chopped chives.
- Serve: Transfer the potatoes to a serving plate and drizzle with the sour cream dip. Garnish with additional chives if desired.
Serve and enjoy!