This is one of my favorite refreshing summer drinks which I discovered on a holiday to Mexico a few years back. Since then, it has become a staple at home barbecues and gatherings, I love how it is packed full of umami and sour flavors. I have added a side of my homemade guacamole to enjoy it with it, perfect for relaxing out in the garden this summer.Kitchen tools needed: Cole & Mason Spice shaker, Cole and Mason Pestle and Mortar.
Prep: 10 min
Ingredients for the Guacamole.
- 3 ripe Avocados, mashed.
- 2 medium ripe plum tomatoes, diced, seeds discarded.
- 1 and a half Banana Shallots finely diced.
- Zest & Juice of 1 lime.
- Handful fresh cilantro(roughly 3 tablespoons when chopped)
- Half a Jalapeño chili finely diced.
- A good shake of dried chili, using the Cole & Mason Saunderton Spice shaker.
Measurements for 1 Michelada drink.
- 1 bottle of Mexican style beer
- 3 ice cubes
- 20ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- 100ml Tomato or Clamato juice (Use tomato juice if you are veggie / vegan)
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- Dash of Worcestershire Sauce
- Tbsp Chili flakes & Good pinch of Salt (for garnish around the rim)
- Firstly, prepare the Guacamole. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, I used my hands to mash the avocado for a creamy yet chunky texture. Check for seasoning, I feel it needs a few turns of the Cole and Mason salt mill. Decorate with a sprinkle of dried chili flakes using the Saunderton Spice Shaker. Drizzle with a little olive oil and refrigerate the Guacamole for at least 30mins.
- Prepare your cocktails. Use the Cole and Mason Pestle and Mortar to grind your chili flakes and salt to a fine-ish powder. Take a tall glass and run a wedge of lime around the rim. Next turn the glass upside down in the chili & salt blend (or apply with a spoon) to create a seasoned rim. Combine the remaining ingredients, adding the lime, tomato or Clamato juice, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce over ice and then topping up with the beer and check the seasoning. As you drink your cocktail you will create space - keep adding the remaining beer - don’t let it go to waste.
- Serve your cocktails with the homemade Guacamole and your favorite corn tortillas.
Tip:Feel free to play around with the balance of flavors some prefer this drink spicier, sometimes more sour or even sweeter with more tomato.