By Sofia Gallo
A quick and easy fix for hungry crowds or for those summer picnics to the park. They can also be prepared in advance, and they only require a few ingredients. This version is vegetarian, but you can add your own preferred ingredients.
Prep: 30 min
Cook: 30-40 min
Makes 18-20 mini tartlets
- Readymade and rolled puff pastry – or shortcrust pastry (pie crust)
- 1 small red bell pepper – finely diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper – finely diced
- ½ red onion – thinly sliced
- Olive oil for cooking
- Seasoning to taste
- 2 medium eggs
- 150 g crème fraiche
- 100 g grated gruyere cheese – or preferred one
- Make sure to take the pastry out of the fridge about 15 min before using. Place a frying pan on medium heat, once hot add 2 tbsp olive oil and add your vegetables. Season and cook until softened.
- In the meantime, roll out the pastry and cut out 18-20 circles. Don’t get rid of the spare pastry as this can become cheesy straws.
- In a jug mix your eggs, crème fraiche and seasoning and whisk with a fork until combined.
- Time to assemble: Place the pastry circles on the tin holes. Make sure to leave these just on the top as the pastry will shrink whilst baking and place itself in the cases.
- Add your vegetables, about a tsp for each tartlet, top with the egg mix, and sprinkle the gruyere cheese before baking in a preheated oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 until golden brown.
Enjoy hot or cold – these can also be frozen to be enjoyed later.